Monday, October 30, 2006

 

Back at work

My week off is over. The spare room is now Son's room, complete with mattress on floor and table for painting miniatures. The box room is now redecorated (exciting white) and lined with the bookcases, and a completely random mixture of books. When I have a spare afternoon I will take them all down. sort them alphabetically, take out the outsize ones and stick them all back on the shelves. Next job is to make a hammock for the soft toys, so I'm off to find appropriate netting tonight.

Box room will just about fit a single mattress (actually 3 sofa cushions) now. Otherwise guests get the sofa bed downstairs and the cats jumping on their heads all night.

It was a nice week. Friday I went to a National Trust lecture on the Lunar Men. I was the youngest there by at least 20 years- the tea and biscuit was nice. Saturday we started our 2/3 star kayaking course, which was most entertaining. Sunday I practised on the canal and fell in (again). It is getting colder each time, unsurprisingly.

Delighted to see that our crooked drive paving people have made it to Rogue Trader; the ones that aren't already in prison.

Still entertained by Robin Hood, despite or possibly because of its many flaws. Booked tickets to see the Flaming Lips next week in Birmingham, which should be thoroughly excellent. Thinking about taking Son to the Grieg centenary concert early next year; he wants to know how long it will be.

Read Confessions of Felix Krull, Confidence Man this week. Wasn't aware that a) it was intended as a two parter, b) Mann was inconsiderate enough to die before writing the second one. It was left rather in the air. However I still like Thomas Mann's books enormously, for no obvious reason. Looking for something else to read at the moment. Having the book collection completely jumbled is quite good for that, although I shall have to hope that I can still identify the various books lent to me which have now ended in in the general pool.

Watched Constantine; another film better than its write ups, or maybe I'm just non-fussy at present. Anyway I thought it was very good. Dreamed of Tilda Swinton giving kayak lessons. Got nowhere with Kingdom of Heaven though- possibly the combination of strong silent type hero and my playing spider solitaire instead of watching the screen. The strange political thriller about brainwashing people whose name I've forgotten was a bit better, although not sure what it was meant to be; the plot was carefully explained at the beginning leaving only the playing out to be done, which was done quite well.

Must get on with some work- usual week off backlog to deal with. Remarkably unstressed about returning- usually a long weekend is enough to make me rather jumpy but very relaxed this time.

Kayaking every Saturday for the next three weeks, then a whitewater trip (in December!) the boats are completely different to handle from the ones we own, so adapting is taking a while- their boats will turn 360 degrees on the spot whereas I have to do a three point turn to change direction on our fairly wide canal. All good experience though- Beloved is already talking about getting a whitewater playboat as well as his tourer, happily ignoring the absence of money problem :-)

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?