Monday, June 26, 2006

 

I have no voice...

And I must scream, as Harlan nearly said. I loved that story as a teenager, mainly because of the title. Bit of a twit in many ways but he could write.

Throat infection in my case, rather than being eaten by a giant jellyfish alien.

Other than croaking sorely, all is well, if a little chaotic. Spent the weekend sewing and playing Descent (board not computer game). Son is required to dress up for his German class this week (why I haven't quite established- I suspect they are learning the German for "doesn't he look ridiculous"). Anyway he decided to go with general public comment and enhance his Frodo appearance (his hair is getting a bit long now for the true resemblance but I got a look of scorn when I suggested cutting it) so I have been dyeing and altering clothes all weekend. I might post a picture in due course, if he lets me-I'm rather pleased with the result. Not tried clothes dye before- it is remarkably effective (I sort of imagined it would come out wishywashy and patchy but it's good bold colour.)

Have developed a vague interest in the football, mainly because in a culture that thinks Alan Sugar is an effective manager I'm all in favour of Sven's non- shouting approach. I hate managers who shout. And I feel rather indignant on behalf of a team who keeps winning games and still gets criticised rather nastily. We were listening to 5 live on the way back from Stafford last night and there was a brief interview with Mr Rooney (who I believe kicks the ball somewhere near the front). he commented near the end that although "you" say they were not playing well they felt pleased with that performance. Spluttering indignation afterwards from one of the noisier commentators; the England team obviously had a "siege mentality" and should have better things to do than "dig" at the journalists.

Tennis starts today anyway. And haven't watched last week's Dr Who yet.

Plans for trip to Small Isles nearly complete. Still have to buy several tons of midge repellant. Bought a very lightweight waterproof coat. All three of us are going in one tent, which given how few changes of clothes we are squeezing in could be exciting. Stopping off in Stafford on the way back so Son and I can go up to The Cast are Dice in Stoke, a new games convention aimed partly at BGG members- apparently I get a badge with my avatar on :-) Trying to rearrange Son's trip to his grandparents because I forgot about Continuum and he looked devastated when I suggested that he might only be able to go on the last day. Looks like Son and Beloved will both be away weekend of Manorcon in Birmingham so I may go to that on my own- it is advertising a St Petersburg tournament which is just my cup of tea. That makes three weekend conventions over the summer, which sounds good if unusual.

Down to London twice this week for meetings, which should hopefully mean that I can catch up on my maths a bit on the train; slowed down rather too much recently. Currently on methods of finding area and tangents pre-calculus- not astoundingly gripping.

New neighbours appear amazingly young. No wild parties yet though.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?