Tuesday, March 28, 2006

 
Stanislaw Lem died yesterday, which is sad, although it might have been sadder if he hadn't lived a long time already.

I was reading Peace on Earth earlier this week and actually checked out of curiosity that he was still alive. So maybe it's my fault.

I like Lem. Best of all I like the fact that there are plenty more of his books to read- they are not addictive in that "go out and buy them all way" but they are always pleasant to come across in the library.

Little other news. Family all at home ill with bad colds. I need to rewrite my Plato essay because I'm not happy with it. I just wrote the most amazingly bureaucratic paragraph ever for work and didn't even notice I had done it until I'd finished. And then I decided that it was technically accurate so could stay. My soul is possibly dead.

Watched Pom Poko last night. Very, very odd. No, odder than that. I shall never look a raccoon in the eye again.

We went to Stratford on Sunday afternoon and Son and I rowed up and down the Avon while Beloved went in search of coffee. I bought a paint by numbers set of penguins (for a massive £1.99) and that has been keeping me happy. Just the white bits to go now. I don't believe I ever had paint by numbers as a child- I suspect mother thought crayons had less potential for mess. I have to admit there is a lot of paint strewn around the lounge by now.

Stratford reminds us of York, only more Shakespeare. Yesterday I went to the travel place and picked up every bus leaflet for journeys out of Solihull. I feel trapped here sometimes- it just has such a total lack of places I want to be (library excepted) and you can't leave by train until 10:15am on a Sunday and then only to Birmingham. I think I'm living in the wrong place but there's very little I can do about it now. Bad few days- couple of panic attacks- but better now.

Tomorrow is day off. Going into Brum to pick up a RPG book for Son- he could have ordered it but I haven't been to Waylands Forge for a while and I need an excuse to get out of the house. I might see if the second hand book place is open too.

Son made me a splendid card for Mother's Day with many llamas. And I got a bar of chocolate which looked suspiciously like one of the 6 bars he was given for his birthday two weeks ago. But it is very nice- it is keeping me going through some particularly slow days at work.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?